Saturday, July 1, 2017

New Digs

I just unpacked the last box a day or so ago. I turned in the keys to the old apartment on Thursday. I live here, now.
I was not sorry to see the last of those 3 flights of stairs without an elevator, I can tell you that.
This is the first time I've lived in a house and not an apartment in almost 15 years. That's a really odd thought. The last time was a four bedroom that I shared with two other guys and a newly-married couple. That's a particularly odd thought, too. A friend of mine said the other day that she'd only moved 3 times in her whole life. I've lost count of how many times I've moved.
I made my first ever mortgage payment this morning.
So here is the first blog post from the new digs. From the new office.
I'll be honest--during the entire boxing up and moving and then unpacking, I haven't written a single word on the novel. No news on that front. I'll get settled in here, though, and then get back to it.
I did, however, in the unpacking, find the paper where I laid out the initial structure of the novel I finished last year, though. That was really interesting, to see how it changed from the initial planning to the final thing that I turned in. Hopefully, as I keep saying, you'll see that one next year sometime.




Remains is now live. It's out there in the world in both paperback and on Kindle. That, too, is a really odd thought.
Unfortunately, due to a postal snafu, I still haven't even seen it. My author's copies have disappeared in transit, somehow. They are out there in the ether. If you've gotten your copy already, tweet me with a picture of you with it and let me know what you think of the design.
Due to the stress of the move, I haven't been reading very fast, either. I'm still plugging away on Rice's Blackwood Farm.



Not her best, but part of an interesting trend in her work where the undead (vampires) become involved with the living (Talamasca, Mayfairs, etc.) who can see the unquiet dead (spirits, ghosts, etc.). I'm also fascinated with her idea that large, old Louisiana families all wind up having sex with their cousins constantly--is she playing with the stereotype of inbreeding with tongue in cheek, or is she finding things in her research that I just never heard of?
So, next month we'll hopefully be back on track. Plus, the ink will be dry on something I'm working on putting together now, and I'll be able to tell you about that.
As always, thanks for your support.

No comments: