Wednesday, May 31, 2017

14 Boxes

So Summer finally arrives. I find myself still watching the skies, though as if at any moment there might be 6 inches of snow. I don't think I'll ever get used to how volatile the change the weather can be, here.
Part of the big news is this: I bought a house. I know, I know...this is a pretty standard thing for most young couples. You have to understand, though, that coming from the background I come from, nothing is guaranteed. Nothing. I'm not going to go on some rant about being a "self-made man" because we all know that "I did it entirely alone" narrative is bullshit, but I will say this: many of the things that are "well, duh" accomplishments for people are not givens for me.
The new house is coming together. Just yesterday I had blinds installed. The guy who lived there before had just thrown up some quicky cheap curtain rods and then the most god awful cheap green curtains. I'm not kidding--the fabric felt like it was rubber. I don't know what he was doing there, but the overall feel for much of the place was "nice place slowly sliding into crack den." I'm rescuing it. There's a huge list of things to do--tear out the carpet and put in hardwood floors, plant a tree in the back yard, put up wasp traps, etc. It's so strange to me to have that list, though.
I mean, earlier this week I bought a lawnmower.
If you knew me in person you'd know that's hysterical.
It's got an electric motor, though, and a really cool battery charging system so it's ecofriendly and quiet. You can laugh all you want, I think it's the shiz.
Of course, this also means that I'm packing up to move from my apartment. I boxed up books already. 14 boxes. Even I shake my head at that. Mind, that's not even all of them. I donated a huge chunk to the Friends of the Library booster group for their annual booksale. I donated a huge chunk of my graphic novels to the school's library. I'm giving away something like 8 bags of old theory books to the students that I know are going on to grad school. Even after all that--14 boxes.
It's an addiction. 
Remains is now out. You can purchase the paperback
direct from the publisher, Lethe Press Books
or from Amazon
We're hoping to have e-text available soon and maybe, just maybe, if you cross your fingers and squeeze your eyes real tight, there might maybe possibly be an audio book. More on that soon. If you follow me on my social media, you have already seen this, but here is the book trailer:
Still plugging away on the current work in progress. Just crossed over the 42K words mark on the rough draft, so about halfway to my goal length for it. Sven from Rebel Satori gave me a fantastic book to read as part of my research for the current WIP and I want to pass that title along to you. The book is Bull of Heaven by Michael G. Lloyd
It's a thorough exploration of the connections early occultism (especially the New York covens/branches/lodges) has with the early gay liberation movement. I knew absolutely none of this and so this book is helpful. There'll be a review on Goodreads fairly soon (with the move and also teaching this summer, the reading is going slowly).
One of the classes I'm teaching this summer is a romp through Greco/Roman mythology. I'm doing it as a deep reading of Homer with the students. It's a hoot to come back to Iliad and Odyssey after some years away. One could find worse ways of spending a summer.
As always, thank you for your support. I hope you like Remains. I'm curious to see how that little boat does as I release it out into the ocean. 

No comments: