Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Boxes and stairs


The semester finally ended and I'm on Summer break, now. Already a little stir-crazy, if I'm honest. Last summer I was hard at work on the book that got finished back in December (which I'm trying to place as we speak). I do have two works in progress, but I'm finding it a bit hard to dive into them. Not quite sure why. Been hard to get into reading, too. I think I've only read a handful of books over the last five months or so. Not sure why on that one, either. It feels odd to not be very interested in the two activities that define me most.
Maybe I needed this summer break more than I knew. Good to have time to catch a breath.
Still, what books I am reading are reviewed over in the sidebar to your right (or you can go directly to my Goodreads) if you're interested.
Had the odd feeling creeping in that I should downsize my home library. Just keep the books that I dearly love and donate the rest. I wonder if that's even feasible, though, given how many boxes and stairs that would equal out to.
I could weigh in on the presidential race here in the United States, but it would just turn into a rant. The issue seems so clear to me that there is only one candidate that is acceptable and experienced enough to lead the country forward, but I'm so tired of having the argument...and of hearing the arguments, too. I've said before that my politics don't match the politics of the people in the state in which I've found myself. Never has that been more evident than the last six months.
I had hoped we'd have some movement on the last book in the Jacob trilogy, Drowning Narcissus, but nothing quite yet. Keep watching on Twitter and Instagram for the breaking news. 
Speaking of, on Twitter I hit 500 followers! I can't thank you guys enough for that. I'm particularly proud of it because, while some are certainly bots (that's unavoidable these days), I haven't paid for a single one of the follows. There are lots of opportunities to do so, but I refuse. Sure, I don't have the thousands of followers other authors might, but I am not going to get those followers by...cheating? I don't know if that's the right word, but that's how it feels.
The Instagram experiment has paid off well, too. Not only have I found some great new authors, some have discovered my works, too. It feels like Twitter felt back in 2014 over there, and that's really nice. 
My big present to myself for making it through the last year (the last 2 years, really) was to move up to a larger Macbook.




The 13 inch served me so well and I loved it, but my giant hamhock hands were just too crowded all over themselves. I'm a lot more comfortable, now. By the by, I use Gazelle to recycle my old electronics. They don't pay me to say this, but you should, too. Highest payment offers (I checked) and also super fast payments. Just always make sure you're doing the full clean on something like a laptop--sure the 7 pass cleaning or whatever takes longer, but the knowledge that your info is well and truly cleaned is good. Nuke and Boot is another option, as long as you have the OS disc to do a quick reinstall.
Lacuna Coil just dropped their 8th studio album, Delirium

You know what a huge fan I am of their work. That dropped-D hardcore metal with a female voice soaring over it? I'm 100% in. But, to be honest, some of the latest work had grown a bit lackluster. I think they'd say the same, but the new album, Delirium, kicks like a pissed off mule. The infusion of new blood into the band has saved them from where things were going. The first four tracks are an all-out assault on the senses, and I love it. Recommended.

No comments: