Sunday, February 28, 2016

Rebbe Potok's Shot

Interesting things are happening over here, but unfortunately I can't tell you about them yet. I hate it when other people do this, but I'm afraid I can't be any more specific. So consider this a kind of placeholder--keep watching this space for further updates.
The Instagram experiment is working out, so I will definitely be keeping it (link on the sidebar--if you're on Instagram, come follow my account for daily hijinx). As it turns out, it's a great place to find interesting artists and new authors.
Twitter has been a great platform for a long time, a good way to stay in touch with you guys and keep updated on things. However, I think we can all sense that it is a dying platform at this point. It's starting to feel a lot like Myspace did toward the end--everyone on there is only there to shill their books or albums (said the guy who is on there trying to shill his books). Still, it felt different back in 2012 and 2013. I think the algorithm decision put a nail in the coffin.
I had the opportunity recently to get back together with some friends of mine who have left for greener pastures. We were all young folks who met in the workplace we all shared and we were determined to make a difference there. In the end, though, it became clear that the upper management had no intention of making any changes for the better (or enforcing rules that many were pretending didn't exist). Think Ned Stark going to King's Landing and you'll have an idea of how the whole thing went down. So two of my friends moved away. It's rare that we can all find ourselves in the same city, but we managed it this last week and it was magnificent. The band was back together, y'know?
It's always hard to come back from something like that, though. Just like coming back from a conference. It was an exciting thing that helped me get through the terrible weather by giving me something to look forward to. The weather is better, now, though, and we're coming up on Spring Break, too. That'll help.
I recently read Chaim Potok's novel, My Name is Asher Lev


To say it was powerful would be an understatement. I can't recommend it enough, especially if you are an artist of any kind in these pragmatic, conservative-minded times. The takeaway from the novel? If you're an artist, if you want to be relevant at all, you have to tell the truth, even if it hurts people. Even if it hurts people close to you. Even if they're unlikely to like what you do.
Boy, can I relate. So, a very belated thanks to Rebbe Potok for a much needed shot in the arm to keep me going.





No comments: