Friday, August 21, 2015

Whistleblowers

The second draft of the novel is off to the beta readers as we speak. We'll know soon enough if I've done something to be proud of or if it bounced the other way. It's more than a little nerve wracking. I've talked about this in other entries, but this book struggled for a long time. Once I finally let the structure shift from single-narrator, linear-plot to multiple POVs moving in different time frames, the book took off. From September 20th of 2014, when I finally get serious about the idea and started writing it, until August 4th of 2015, the second draft came in at about 67k words. If we follow Stephen King's ideas that 10% has to go, we might wind up around 62k-ish. Who knows, though--there may be a call for adding scenes. Maybe. I asked them to have it back to me by end of September.
There's another idea that's bubbling right now in the journals, but to be honest, I'm afraid it's a bit too much Lev Grossman. I guess I need to go read The Magicians just to make sure that I'm not taking anything from him. We'll see.
Here we are at the end of summer, and that means it's back to work. I'm just now coming to realize that, even though I'm happy the book got done, I went nowhere this summer. I was going to go to at least one national monument or park. Instead, I ate sandwiches.
For some reason, when it comes to reading the last few months, I've been very interested in web-related stuff, especially technology and secrets. I'm reading Andy Greenberg's This Machine Kills Secrets
I find myself putting all the books that he mentions on my wish list on Amazon. I found myself watching Laura Poitras's brilliant documentary, Citizenfour, on demand the other night (still a little confused about why it was available via cable before the DVD came out), too.
I think what amazes me is that people like Snowden and Manning were willing to give up everything to blow the whistle on programs like these, and we as Americans wound up caring more about Kim Kardashian's butt. We just accepted that they were watching everything (and it's been proven that they are looking at content, NOT just metadata). I know that's an extremely divisive subject, but I have to say that I don't trust that the "legal" whistleblower channels could have been trusted in these cases.

No comments: