Friday, April 3, 2015

Kerouac's Hundred Year Old Transparent Eyeball

(This is the March update)

I apologize for this being up late--the last month has been hectic, to say the least. Things are cleared up now, though, and we're moving on.

Worse, because I've been tied to grading and meetings and final grant reports, I haven't really been doing anything all that interesting, so there isn't much to report. Not that there's ever really anything all that interesting to report, but I mean even less interesting than usual.

I'm completely stalled on the latest book. I thought that the recasting would help, and it did for about a week, but then nothing. It's not like writer's block...it's worse...there's just nothing coming. My hope is that this is because I haven't really had any time with the book lately. That when I finally do get some time again, we can reconnect. It's really frustrating, though, because I like this premise a lot, and I think people will be interested in this one. I just can't find a groove.

*sigh*

I had an "aha!" moment the other day: The Beats' project in general, and Kerouac's Sal Paradise as a narrator, have much stronger ties to American Transcendentalism than I had ever really considered. I imagine I'm pretty late to the party on this one, but still. On The Road is Song of Myself 2.0, picking up right where Whitman left off a hundred years earlier. Retroactively, it makes me wish I had done my Masters on the The Beats rather than the project I ended up doing.

Currently about 3/4 of the way through Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch

I have to be honest on this one, I'm not quite sure how I'm going to rate it. Some parts of it, especially the first section, sparkle. I think that Tartt deserves every bit of praise for her writing. However, she really, REALLY, could have used a more bloodthirsty editor on this one.

I hope to be able to do a cover reveal in next month's entry. Fingers crossed!

No comments: