Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Ending 14

So, here we are at the end of 2014. It's been a wild one, full of emotional and professional ups and downs. Still plugging away over here, though. Snow on the ground, beef stew in the crock pot, and 26K words on the next novel so far. Not horrible.
The press has been getting a lot of great attention, lately. Sadly, not for my books, but still--I'm happy that people are starting to recognize the quality of work that Rebel Satori produces. Even though it isn't my press, I have a lot of affection and pride for it. 
I decided to open up a Tumblr. I have to admit, I'm still dubious about the effectiveness of that platform, but I do have to say it's a lot of fun when I'm waiting for someone to show up for a lunch date or something. If you have a Tumblr, I'd love it if you'd add me--I'll add you back! You can find that at here. I try to share posts that matter to me--gender issues, lgbtq issues, issues about publishing, writing, etc. I solemnly swear to not let it degenerate into cat memes.
I hope, at any rate.
I do have to admit, though, that I've been moving slower than I usually do. For instance, I haven't gotten comics filed away in a while. This is the result of months and months of laziness:
I guess I should be proud that they are at least in stacks if not filed, yet.
I'm currently indulging my Beats obsession by reading through the Ginsberg's early journals, edited by Bill Morgan and published in 2006:

Full review coming as soon as I finish it, but I do have to say that so far? I wish it had more "journal"-y-ness. I think perhaps in the interest of producing a readable work in their eyes (i.e. statements about art, character sketches about the people he's met, etc.) a lot of the things we read journals for (the beautiful tedium of day to day life) have been cut. Dream descriptions are always interesting, but I'm also interested in the minutiae of the living process.
As a complete side note, though, this book has a gorgeous book design. Even though it's a paperback, it's very eye-catching and yet elegant in its own way.
So that wraps up 2014. I hope that it's been good for you. As always, thank you for the support, have a fantastic holiday season, and we'll see you in the new year!

No comments: