Saturday, May 17, 2014

Well I know it's just a Spring Haze...




           The first day after a semester ends is always a jumble of emotions. Every time, I find myself wandering from room to room, feeling like there’s something I should be doing. It takes a few days for my brain to accept that all the grading is done, all the meetings have been had, and that no lectures need prepping.
            I promised myself that this summer I’d explore this state more. After 4 years, here, it’s all still alien landscape. People mention city names to me and I don’t know where they mean. They might as well be saying Jaipur or Angkor Wat.
I keep having those moments where I wake up and ask myself, “How did I get here?” Not in an angry or dismayed way, but with honest bewilderment. People ask me, “Where are you from?” and I can never just say one place. I walk them through the incomplete rectangle that has been my story.
I’m thinking about all of this for many reasons, one of which is that I see young people who have done all this fantastic traveling. I admit it; I’m jealous. I’ve always felt like there was some reason that I couldn’t do the same, but in truth, there isn’t. Or, even if there were reasons that kept me from traveling (mostly financial, as I recall), they no longer exist.
Well, save one; I like being in new places, but getting there by plane is absolute torture for me. To say I don’t fly well would be an understatement of titanic proportions. Especially when Denver is the major hub. The air above that city seems to share temperament with the North Atlantic.

In other news, after 5 years, Stealing Ganymede has finally made back its advance. I can’t thank you guys enough for that. I hope that the folks at Rebel Satori are happy about it, too; it means the gamble they took 5 years ago has paid off. The book is actually selling more steadily now than ever. I’m humbled by that, and by the kindness people show the book.
This summer is dedicated to getting the third book of the conceptual trilogy from 1st to 2nd (and hopefully even 3rd) draft. I haven’t had a chance to talk to Sven at RS yet, but I’m hoping we can have the book out by this time next year. I’ll keep you up to date on that. You’ve not yet heard the last of Jacob.
Again, if you’ve read either Stealing Ganymede or Silencing Orpheus, I would love it if you’d stop by Goodreads or Amazon and leave a review. Positive or negative, they all help a great deal, and I appreciate them.

No comments: