Thursday, December 19, 2013

Christmas Approaches




Here we are, at the end of 2013. Snow is falling outside the window, and I’m feeling that same end-of-the-calendar-year down that almost everyone feels, even though this has been a V E R Y successful year by any metric you want to use (save one—still single, but that’s small in the grand scheme of things). Although, I will admit that my New Year’s resolution was to read more nonfiction, and I’ve failed at that. I saw Chris Rock talking about how he only reads nonfiction, and something about that sounded interesting to me. Maybe I’ll make that my new New Year’s resolution.
Silencing Orpheus is selling steadily. Out in Print published a good review of the book. I disagree with the reviewer on a few points, of course, but I like his style (his thoroughness with the mythological aspects is refreshing). There’s even a chance I might have the book in my local indie book store soon, which has me excited beyond belief.
Finally getting back to work on the next project after a four month break. It’s about 20K words along in the rough draft phase, at the moment, and I’m happy with it.
The end of the year brings with it the standard rollout of everyone’s lists, though. I’m not one who wants to disappoint. Here are mine:

Albums that came out in 2013 which I bought (and subsequently recommend)

David Bowie  “The Next Day”
Iggy and the Stooges  “Ready to Die”
Nine Inch Nails  “Hesitation Marks”
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts   “Unvarnished”
Hiatus Kaiyote  “Tawk Tomahawk”
Vicky Cryer  “The Synthetic Love of Emotional Engineering”
Daft Punk “Random Access Memories”
Elvis Costello and the Roots  “Wise Up Ghost”
The National  “Trouble Will Find Me”
Yeah Yeah Yeahs  “Mosquito”
Zebra Katz   “Drklng”
Tricky  “False Idols”
Smallpools  “Smallpools” EP

On average, I read about 60 books a year (Goodreads tells me). This year, most of the books I read were published in 2012, oddly enough. But here are the books I read this year that were actually published this year:

Allegiant by Veronica Roth
Doomed by Chuck Palahniuk
A Certain Kind of Light by Thomas Moore
Freedom by Jay Kirkpatrick
Teenage Idol by J. Merridew
Red Doc> by Anne Carson
A Memory of Light by Brandon Sanderson/Robert Jordan
Doctor Sleep by Stephen King
Antigoddess by Kendare Blake

I wish I had better news about them, but on that list, only Antigoddess, A Certain Kind of Light, A Memory of Light, and Allegiant really satisfied. 

So, I hope you're having fantastic holidays, however you celebrate them. As always, thank you for the support; it means a lot. See you in the new year!

No comments: