Thursday, July 11, 2013

Planet Memory Lane

How on earth did it get to be July, already?

We've put the page proofs to bed on Silencing Orpheus and, as we speak, it is going through the copyright verification process and getting an ISBN number. Not long now and you'll be able to read it! Reading back through it was odd--remember that the book has been done for 4 years, now. Except for a relatively minor overhaul 2 years ago, and a quick edit just a few months back, I hadn't read the book since then--especially not cover to cover. I was pleasantly surprised to find many of the scenes were better than I had remembered them being. I'm excited to see what people think of it in their reviews. 

Wandering through a used bookstore today, I inadvertently went down memory lane when I saw these:




See, when I was a tween and early-to-mid teen, I didn't read YA books. From the time I first saw the show, I was a Star Trek fanatic. I'm not embarrassed by it: that fandom provided me with two of the people in my life that got me through some pretty awful years (one I still have contact with to this day). 
Pocket Books had this line of novels that were new plots (not just novelizations of the episodes) by individual authors. If memory serves, they came out about once a month, like a comic book. I used to get them as soon as I saw them. It was an addiction my mother fostered. I read and had up to about #46 or so, I think. In high school, when I moved in with my mother, my tiny collection of paperbacks was one of the few things that came with me (I've done a few Tweets about some of the others: Legacy of Heorot, Dome, Startide Rising). Later, when mom and I had to move back to the South, there just wasn't enough room in the car for our books, so they got left behind. 
In true book hoarder fashion, the fate of those poor paperbacks has always haunted me. How's that for dramatic?
In all seriousness, most of them were written exactly as you think they were--workaday prose filled with licensed characters and formula storytelling cranked out by hopeful young novelists to make rent. There's nothing wrong with that, mind, I'm just saying. However, there were 3 that had scenes or ideas so memorable that I've never forgotten them. As it happens, I had already found one, Uhura's Song, before now. Of all of them, that's the one that made the most impact on my little brain back then.
Today, I found the other two: Black Fire by Sonni Cooper (which features nothing less than the destruction of the Enterprise, and Spock becoming a space pirate--complete with earring), and Enterprise: The First Adventure by Vonda N. McIntyre (which was the Abrams' "Star Trek" long before Abrams did it). Somewhere inside the cold, black depths of what I might mockingly call my "soul," a 14 year-old smiled. 
I might go on Amazon, now, and track down a copies of Michael Reaves novel, Dome, and C J Cherryh's Downbelow Station to in some sense recreate the library of books that really meant something to that little guy.

Make sure to follow me on Twitter @iamnotecho for news on the novel's release date.

No comments: