Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The Plight of Jon Spaihts



Like many people lately, I have a real soft spot in my heart for the plight of Jon Spaihts.


For those of you who don't know, the film "Prometheus" (the sort-of, kind-of "Alien" prequel-ish), had a very...interesting...path to the screen. It's no secret that Jon Spaihts was involved early on, and wrote the first script drafts while working closely with Ridley Scott. At some point, the studio and Ridley Scott got cold feet, and passed the writing off to Damon "I screw everything up because I have no idea what my audience wants" Lindeloff .
What I feel for the "Alien" franchise goes beyond fandom--as ridiculously hyperbolic as it sounds, those films (even the god awful ones) are part of my DNA. Like most people in the world, I was incredibly excited about this prequel. Like most people, what I saw when the film came out made me angry.
Thing is, though, the film is like a cut at the roof of my mouth. I can't leave it alone. I felt the same about "Alien 3". I think I probably saw that about 10 times in the theater, and way more times on DVD than I care to mention. I watched it again and again to try to make sense of it (the trouble with "Alien 3" also had a lot to do with the script process, but that's for another entry sometime later). "Prometheus" is the same way--I can't leave it alone.
The more I watch it, the more I think about what they did to Spaihts. The more I find out about Spaihts, the more angry I get at Scott and Lindeloff for taking this project away from him, because he was intent on giving us the prequel that we all wanted.
Have a look at some links to interviews that Spaihts has done--you'll see what I mean:







No comments: