Friday, October 19, 2012

October update

The reviews came back for my chapter in the Dystopian theory anthology, and they weren't good, if I'm honest. The book's editor and I have decided on a way forward (the editors, by the way, have been nothing but encouraging and helpful). What upsets me is that the reviews weren't just negative (I can handle that), but phrased in this awful, pompous manner. Anonymity makes people into their worst self, and academics, it seems, become vicious. I spend a lot of time trying to defend academia, but I have to tell you, sometimes? Sometimes we deserve the reputations we've garnered. So, I'm in revisions on that article this month.
There was a bit of a break down with my readers for the next book. So, I had to ask two other readers to take over. One already has her comments back to me and they're so helpful and amazing. Keep your eye on the dedication page. So, I'm still waiting on other reader reports to come in. Once they do, I'll get down to revising the last book in The Jacobiad (is that a thing?).
In my head, I call the 3 books (Stealing Ganymede, Silencing Orpheus, and Drowning Narcissus) "The Metamorphosis," but I wonder if that fits. Are my aims the same as Ovid's?
I broke my rule this month: I don't teach creative writing. There are a lot of people out there who have studied how to do that, and they're very good at it. I haven't, and so I don't. However, I'm teaching a course in creative non-fiction writing for the over-50 set. It's great to watch writers who have been working for a long time get excited about new concepts in technique and structure. The concept of the constructed I of life writing caused some discomfort, but that discomfort has lead to some incredible writing. It's been a lot of fun, and I hope to do that more in the future.
Remember that, if you're a United States citizen, it doesn't matter who you vote for, but get out and vote in the upcoming election. It's incredibly important, especially if you're both a U.S. citizen and LGBTQ. 

No comments: