Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Long Live The Fighters

I am somewhat happy to hear this. The reason is that, currently, the literary estate is in the hands of Herbert's son, who is a terrible writer who has made a name by cashing in on his father's name.

Because, let's face it, that miniseries, and the sequel, were beyond awful. And not like early Doctor Who awful, which was charming in so many ways, but actually hardcore awful.

So, I say it's dead--let it stay dead.

Even a master craftsman like Lynch couldn't really do the book any justice (though he came closest so far). If he couldn't, what hope do the current crop of hacks have? There's only one director currently working, and one coming back out of what seemed like a slow fade, that I'd trust with Dune: Steven Soderbergh, or Ridley Scott. Neither of them seem all that interested in the material, though, so let's just let it go.

Let it die while it still has some dignity left.

All of this will sound really harsh, I know, but you have to understand what the novel Dune means to me. I know that brands me as the worst kind of nerd purist, but I really do think that time has shown us that this material defies visual representation in many ways--it's too sprawling, too epic (in the original sense of the word, not the way we currently use it).

No comments: