Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Biokrieg!

I'm in the middle of reading Paolo Bacigalupi's novel, The Windup Girl.

It's really complex and wonderful (apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so--it's already won just about every award a science fiction novel could possibly win). I'm particularly drawn in by the cover (you may not know this about me, but I'm a sucker for good book design--it's one of the reasons that I knew Rebel Satori was great place for my novel: the book design on Ganymede is fantastic). The cover to Bacigalupi's novel is great. However, while crawling the net, I found the cover (and subsequent re-naming of the novel) for the German edition. Check this out:

Nothing at all intended against Night Shade Books, but that German cover? It owns. it wins, hands down. I sort of wish I could read German better; I'd love to catch people staring at that cover design out of the corner of their eye.
Shallow? Maybe, but I'm only human.

No comments: