Saturday, April 24, 2010

Organized abuse

Recently, Frontline did a documentary on the practice of Bacha Bazi in Afghanistan. As laudable as it is that such a documentary now exists, I'm still chilled to the bone when the investigator says that he was warned attempts to save the boys involved would only put them in more danger. The organized nature, the level of connections these people have to those with higher levels of power, of the abuse is what is so chilling and heartbreaking to me.
I remember when I was in the initial research phase of Stealing Ganymede, I watched "Body Without Soul" by Wiktor Grodecki. I remember being shocked most by the organized nature of the business, and the culture that surrounded it. This is one of the aspects of the novel that I think many people find most difficult to believe, but these organizations exist (look at how disbelief and the connections of the organization destroyed the attempt to break up one of these rings in the Johnny Gosch case). I've talked to survivors of organizations like the one I wrote about. I think far too often people believe and understand that these businesses exist for girls, but that organizations such as the one I wrote about couldn't possibly exist, especially in the United States. It becomes important because, while there are some excellent organizations out there working to end the practice of organized rings of abusers of girls, until we believe that it happens to boys as well, I worry that there won't be the same level of effort to save them, too.

1 comment:

M said...

Agreed. I think that people are finally starting to talk about organized sexual slavery and forced prostitution, but we only think about women and we only think it happens in other countries. That is why SG is so powerful--you forced your reader to see something that he or she didn't want to see.

My heart hurts for these girls and boys, men and women.