Sunday, October 11, 2009

Out Loud

If I had a penny for every time I've typed a comment to a student or peer to read a sentence or two out loud so they can hear the awkwardness of it, I'd have filled up one of those water cooler jugs by now. I believe very strongly that an ear is ten times the editor that an eye is. So, it made me very happy when Scott Westerfeld (my all time favorite YA author) talked about how he and his wife edit each other's work in progress during this interview with Romantic Times magazine.*

He says,



--
*= I sincerely hope they won't mind the repost--it's too fantastic an interview not to.

2 comments:

M said...

I do this too. In fact, at the end of the semester, my students do a peer review where they have to read their own paper out loud to a peer and that peer takes notes on revision ideas. They sorta hate it but it is always one of the most useful things they do of the semester.

J. Campbell said...

cool!