Sunday, September 13, 2009

too many windows

I cannot tell you how sad this makes me.



I've said before that, besides Jim Morrison, Jim Carroll (his website) was one of the biggest influences on my early writing.

"Blood Bridge" is one of my all time favorite poems. I find myself saying it out loud all the time:

Blood Bridge

White ship disappears
into wave machine… this morning
your eyes got shot with secret chains
that the pill armies eventually set free.
you queens so often, in fact,
open my graceful anxieties
like soft horses through toy deserts…
I love this mansion
though its too many windows
to open halfway each morning,
to close halfway each night.

Those last two lines always, ALWAYS hit me like soft sledgehammer massacre. In that dream anthology I have in my head, the one with only the poems I love in it? This one is one of the most important.

R.I.P. Jim.

No comments: