Wednesday, April 8, 2009

soundtrack?

I had a strange idea the other day and for some reason it stuck with me. It's this: I wonder what a soundtrack to the novel would sound like? Now, mind you, I'm not saying the novel is movie-worthy. Not that at all. Just curious as to what I might like to see on the soundtrack to the novel (if they made such things).* There is lots of music already in it, but I think if I had any say in the novel's soundtrack, it would be more a chance to get lesser known bands a shot. Or maybe get some of my favorite bands to cover songs I think they'd do amazingly well.

So, in keeping with that, a completely whimsical post of what bands/songs (assuming they'd agree and assuming they'd let me use the song I want) I'd like to see on such a record:

1."All Gone Now" by OSI from the album Free .

2."My Twin" by Katatonia from the album The Great Cold Distance .

3."They Know Who You Are" by Powerman 5000 from the album Tonight The Stars Revolt .

4. "WTF!" by Saul Williams from the album The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust .

5. "Withered" by Atomship from the album The Crash of '47

6. "Bullet" by Bitch and the Exciting Conclusion from the B+TEC EP .

7. "We Prick You" by David Bowie from the album Outside

8. "Digging in the Dirt" by Peter Gabriel off the album Us

9. "New Noise" by Rufused from the album The Shape of Punk to Come

10. some sort of much slower, far more sinister remix of "Lucky Pressure" by Roni Size from the album In The Mode .

11. "Elvis" by These New Puritans from the album Beat Pyramid .

12. Finally, the one that is most impossible and could never happen, but a cover of "Sympathy for the Devil" by Nine Inch Nails. He would never do it; not in a million years, but it would be the perfect track to sum up the book.

So, there you have it. But what about you? What do you think would go well on the novel's soundtrack?

_____________________________
*= mind you, this is not what songs were playing around the time I was writing it; that would be a very different list. This is more about what songs would go well with it as it stands now.

2 comments:

Devon said...

This is really interesting. I think it's cool that you release this list. There's a novel called Road Letters where the author did the same thing. I love the idea.

J. Campbell said...

Was the novel good? I'll check it out.