Monday, March 16, 2009

Intertextuality

In talking with people about the novel, what's been most interesting has been which books or movies that they notice are present. So, just for the hell of it, I thought I'd make a listing of all the books and movies and songs that are in the book. I didn't have this while writing, so it's really interesting to look back on it and see the relationship between the books and movies that eventually did go in.

To be honest? I thought there were a lot more songs in there--and there are, but I don't name them.

So, here's the list:

Novels:

The Stranger Camus
Lolita Vladimir Nabokov
White Fang Jack London
Lord of the Flies William Golding
The Great Gatsby F. Scott Fitzgerald
Robinson Crusoe Daniel Defoe
The God of Small Things Arundhati Roy
I Know My First Name is Steven Mike Echols
Steven King's novels are referenced, but most specifically (though not by name)Talisman (with Peter Straub)
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance Robert M. Pirsig (though Zeus remembers it as having "Dharma" in the title when it doesn't)

Poetry:

(a few unspecified) by Emily Dickens
"Leda and the Swan" by Yeats (referenced by not quoted)
"The Tables Turned" by William Wordsworth

Songs:

"Sympathy for the Devil" by The Rolling Stones
"Wade in the Water, Children" (African American Spiritual)
"The Girl From Epanema" by Antonio Carlos Jobim, composer
"Riders on the Storm" by The Doors

Movies:

"The Mexican" 2001 Gore Verbinski, director
"The Big Hit" 1998 Kirk Wong, director
"Grosse Point Blank" 1997 George Armitage, director
"The Matrix" 1999 Andy Wachowski, Larry Wachowski, directors (the movie with "perfect slow motion")
"The Karate Kid" 1984 John G. Avildsen, director
"Ghost Dog" 1999 Jim Jarmusch, director
"Frankenstein" 1931 James Whale, director
"Full Metal Jacket" 1987 Stanley Kubrick, director
"The Great Gatsby" 1974 Jack Clayton, director

2 comments:

M said...

So I just finished your novel, though I had read this list before that. Without the cultural references to contemporary films, I would have thought this was set in the early 80's. I can't really pinpoint why--perhaps Zeus's childhood moments are so powerful they set the tone for the whole book. Zeus would have grown up in the 80's, right?

J. Campbell said...

it's an interesting question; I don't know that I ever fixed in my mind a particular time