Monday, March 30, 2009

Gays and Ideology

If there is one thing that makes me furious, it is the complete apathy that I see day in and day out from LGBT people about the state we live in around the world. Most often this comes out in statements that basically boil down to "just because we're gay doesn't mean we have to care about one another." As I've said both here and other places, it is that level of apathy that is going to allow the really scary ideologues out there to continue to preach for our destruction. When someone tells me that just because we both like to sleep with men doesn't mean we're connected, I remind them that in the minds of many who want us dead it very much does.

My sincere hope is that a film like Milk will remind people that it is precisely because so many gays feel they can't be bothered to come together on important issues (or, indeed, even on a community level) that extremists can do almost anything they want.

Nowhere does this hit home more than the situation faced by LGBT people in Iran and Iraq. Here is what I mean:

In Iraq:



(part 1)
(part 2)


In Iran;


(part 1)
(part 2)
(part 3)

Here are some places to get some more information about the situation faced by LGBT people around the world:
Iraqi LGBT (based in the UK)
Iranian Queer Underground
Gays Without Borders

2 comments:

Christopher said...

J, Really insightful stuff. When I saw Milk I was ashamed at how apathetic I had become at how little the movement has achieved and my lack of a role in the destiny of my people. I agree, if this apathy continues, our collective destiny may well be determined by an ideology that seeks only to disenfranchise us further. Good stuff.

J. Campbell said...

thanks!