Thursday, February 19, 2009

Sister Unity

I've been talking a lot about gender performance with my students, lately. We've been reading Kate Bornstein's book, Gender Outlaw this week, and she mentions the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence (their wiki entry). I wanted to find a good video to show my students what Bornstein means when she mentions this particular kind of performance.

Sister Unity creates incredible videos that have to be seen to be believed. Here is her amazing re-working of Little Red Riding Hood. I hope she won't mind if I post this here not only as a way of getting back to it to show to my students, but also in hopes that others will enjoy it as much as I do.

I give you "Fierce Bitch"*:



___________________________

*=In case you're interested, the lenses she's using here are a unique combination of Wiccan ideas on femininity and nature, queer theory, and Camp performance. 3rd wave feminsm would likely have some problems with the somewhat problematic use of "nature," and the automatic connection of "nature" with the feminine, but these ideas are foundational to the Wiccan belief system.

2 comments: