Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Law

I don't want to use this space to speculate about the future, or even to celebrate; others who are much better writers than I am will do that today, and I encourage you to read their blogs.

What I do want to talk about, though, is the nation continuing to legalize discrimination against me and others like me...using the law to congratulate themselves on their backward thinking. Don't know what I mean? Here, have a look:

Trouble in Arkansas

Here's why this makes me furious: Not just is this fucking ignorance being made into law...into LAW, mind you...but with the system filling up with children who need homes to grow up in rather than group shelters, who need parents, this group of voters decided that what is important isn't the children, but their own fucking sense of peace of mind based on ignorance. Way to go, Arkansas; way to think about your next generation.

Prop 8 problems

Prop 8 problems

Again, ignorance being made into law, though thankfully in at least the California case, this isn't decided completely yet. I want to scream right now. Using the law...USING THE LAW...to try to self-congratulate backwardness and fear-thinking.

My heart goes out to J T Tepnapa and Adam B. Tepnapa, To George Takei and his husband, and also to Tommy Roddy, to Brian Andersen...to all of the amazing people who live and work in California and who happen to be gay or lesbian or bisexual across the country.

Make no mistake: while we celebrate the huge strides that America has made, right now? People are using the law to now legally discriminate. And who loses out in the end? The children that could have had good homes, but instead will be shuffled around their whole lives in foster homes, the children who could have been raised in loving marriages.

What gives me hope, though, is that for me? We now have the right team assembling to begin fixing the problems.

8 comments:

cfa said...

well, and this isn't law, by any means, but did you notice that two lesbian characters were pulled from network TV this week? no notice, no subtle plotlines - just gone, as of tomorrow night. sketchy. i hear you, brother.

Mira Chan said...

i'm extremely disappointed with all of the states that chose to discriminate against their citizens. obama talked in his speech about the future he wanted to create for his little girls and i desperately hope that equal rights is a part of that future!!

J. Campbell said...

I didn't hear about that, honestly, but it really doesn't surprise me: I think eventually we'll come to see this is backlash.

J. Campbell said...

Me too, mira-chun. Me too.

M said...

I have been watching this from the sidelines, not knowing what to say. My Church's involvement in this is so hurtful.

I am so embarrased and frustrated and angry and sad. I know this is not the place for me to get into my whole take on this, but I do want you to know that I have wrestled with my Church's involvement for months. I haven't even been to Church in weeks. There are many, many others of my faith who fought tooth and nail to defeat Prop 8. The fight isn't over.

I feel this need to apologize to you--like I somehow represent all Mormons. I am so, so sorry.

J. Campbell said...

I would never hold you responsible for the actions of the LDS church, and I hope that I've never made you feel that way by things I've said or done.

M said...

No, you never have... But it doesn't change the fact that I am incredibly dissapointed in the way my church handled the whole thing. I just wanted you to know that I was thinking about you and this whole post.

J. Campbell said...

Thanks, M