Sunday, August 17, 2008

graphic reviews

I read a lot of graphic novels that I checked out from the library this past weekend. Some thoughts to pass along:



Pop Gun War by Farel Dalrymple. The art was beautiful, but the story way WAY to surreal for me. I needed a bit more plot than I got, and a bit less flight of fancy.



Mother, Come Home by Paul Hornschemeier. Heavily Chris Ware influenced (might as well have just called it Jimmy Corrigan 2). The story was heartbreaking and good, but I dislike Chris Ware's work so much it was hard to like this book being just so heavily Ware-ish.



Fallout by Jim Ottaviani (and others). Really uber technical in places. Since physics isn't something I'm incredibly interested in (I had more of a general interest in the subject of the Manhattan project), the novel went downhill for me quickly. I also tend to dislike multiple artists working on one book (however long that book may be).

So, 0 for 3. Even the theory book that I picked up from the library:



Graphic Novels: Everything You Need to Know by Paul Gravett, seemed to be a fairly big rip off of McCloud and Eisner. The only thing that he really updated (that I liked) was that he actually went in to major detail on some of the most influential graphic novels in the field as well as those that trade heavily on their relation to those works. He didn't eschew superhero books, either, which is good; he talked about Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns. So, if you're interested in learning more about graphic novels, and you haven't already read Understanding Comics (Scott McCloud) or Comics and Sequential Art (Will Eisner) then this book might be something for you to look into--it's set up to be a beginners guide, and it's a fairly good one for that.

No comments: