Monday, July 7, 2008

constellation



Many scholars talk about a "constellation of texts" (and its a real shame that for some reason I can't think of where I first heard that term, though I think it came to me from Sara Ahmed's work).

We talked about it today in the seminar. So, I decided I'd come home and show this. I don't like the idea of fetishizing the actual physical object of the text, but let's be honest...I'm an "english type" and I do fetishize the physical object of the text. So, here are the major stars in my academic constellation...the points by which I plot my course.

Entries about each one of these and how it fits with the others are forthcoming. For now, here's the list (in case author or title are unclear (top to bottom, though that is no indication of the relative importance of one over the other):

1. Superman on the Couch Danny Fingeroth
2. Critical Theory and Science Fiction Carl Freedman
3. The Myth of Masculinity Joseph Pleck
4. Epistemology of the Closet Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick
5. Disturbing the Universe Roberta Seelinger Trites
6. The Haraway Reader Donna Haraway
7. Lenin and Philosophy and Other Essays Louis Althusser
8. Discipline and Punish Michel Foucault
9. Gender Trouble Judith Butler

4 comments:

G said...

Do you find that your academic constellation and your non-academic constellation(s) overlap much? I'm curious to know if there is an equivalent action to reading for those outside our quadrant of the universe. I don't think that movies and/or video games work in quite the same way.

J. Campbell said...

*grin* Actually, I tend to find the critical moments in texts, and that's what makes me like them, so there is overlap for me. Science fiction that criticizes patriarchal domination, comics that criticize dominant political ideologies, etc.
Is there for you?

Anonymous said...

I want to see the graphical equivalent rather than a list. How would they be laid out if you set them up in a splotchy bunch of dots like stars in the sky? (Am I weird for thinking that the graphical layout someone decides upon would "speak" almost as much as the titles involved? Hee hee!)

-- Sally

J. Campbell said...

that really *WOULD* be interesting. I wonder if there's some software out there to do something like that.